This pre-school recognises that qualifications and training make an important contribution to the quality of the care and education provided by pre-school settings. As part of our commitment to quality, we offer placements to students undertaking early years' qualifications and training, including those studying for the CACHE level 2 Certificate in Pre-school Practice and CACHE level 3 Diploma in Pre-school Practice.
We aim to provide for students on placement with us, experiences which contribute to the successful completion of their studies and which provide examples of quality practice in early years care and education.
· We require students to meet the 'suitable person' requirements of Ofsted.
· We require schools placing students under the age of 17 years with the pre-school to vouch for their good character.
· We supervise students under the age of 17 years at all times and do not allow them to have unsupervised access to children.
· Students who are placed in our pre-school on a short term basis are not counted in our staffing ratios. Students who are placed for longer periods - for example, a term, or have relevant experience, may be counted in our staffing ratios provided we consider them to be competent.
· We take out employers' liability insurance and public liability insurance which covers both trainees and voluntary helpers.
· We require students to observe all confidentiality, data protection and policies.
· We co-operate with students' tutors in order to help students to fulfil the requirements of their course of study.
· We provide students, at the first session of their placement, with a short induction on how our pre-school is managed, how our sessions are organised and our policies and procedures.
· We communicate a positive message to students about the value of qualifications and training.
· We make the needs of the children paramount by not admitting students in numbers which might hinder the essential work of the pre-school.
· We ensure that students placed with us are engaged in bona fide early years' training which provides the necessary background understanding of children's development and activities.
policy was adopted at a meeting of
Held on (date)