We believe that high quality care and education is promoted by providing children with safe, clean, attractive, age and stage appropriate resources, toys and equipment.
We aim to provide children with resources and equipment which help to consolidate and extend their knowledge, skills, interests and aptitudes.
In order to achieve this aim:
· we provide play equipment and resources which are safe and - where applicable - conform to the safety standard EN71 and Toys (Safety) Regulation (2011).
· we provide a sufficient quantity of equipment and resources for the number of children;
· we provide resources which promote all areas of children's learning and development, which may be child- or adult-led;
· we select books, equipment and resources which promote positive images of people of all races, cultures and abilities, are non-discriminatory and avoid racial and gender stereotyping;
· we provide play equipment and resources which promote continuity and progression, provide sufficient challenge and meet the needs and interests of all children;
· we provide made, natural and recycled materials which are clean, in good condition and safe for the children to use;
· we provide furniture which is suitable for children and furniture which is suitable for adults;
· we store and display resources and equipment where children can independently choose and select them;
· we check all resources and equipment regularly as they are set out at the beginning of each session and put away at the end of each session. We repair and clean, or replace any unsafe, worn out, dirty or damaged equipment;
· we keep an inventory of newly purchased resources and equipment. This will record the date on which each item was purchased and the price paid for it;
· we provide adequate insurance cover for the pre-school's resources and equipment;
· we use the local library and toy library to introduce new books and a variety of resources to support children's interests; and
· we plan the provision of activities and appropriate resources so that a balance of familiar equipment and resources and new exciting challenges is offered.
This policy was originally adopted at a meeting of Winyates Playgroup Pre-school